El Guapo in DC

I am El Guapo. The most Guapo man in all of DC. Mucho Amor

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Rocks by the bench

She walked with her hips leading the way and her shoulders cocked back and breasts out. She glided across the floor in a way that is difficult to reproduce. A way different than you or I walk; with our each step expressing some kind of a jostle in our shoulders. Not her. Each step was placed in such a way that nothing moved in her gait. If you didn’t look at her moving legs, you would have thought she was on a conveyor belt.

I sat that on the park with the sun watching her glide by and I froze. I froze because the sun was blinding my sunglass-less face. I froze because my stomach was still growling from a morning without breakfast. I froze because for the first time in years, my heart ached because of her.

It had been almost seven years since I last watched her glide away from me, bags in hand, on a trip away from my life. At the time, I couldn’t fathom how I was going to go on each day without watching her glide across the room. I couldn’t fathom how I was going to live without her placing her hand on her hips when she caught me pulling her leg. I couldn’t fathom how I was going to live without her kissing me on the corner of my right eye, between my temple.

There were stones around the bench and they screamed at my peripheral vision to notice them. It didn’t. I just stared.

She was older now. The sun and smoking had taken its toll on her skin. The regular running had produced a still amazing body, but now, I could see that she favored her right knee even more. Her wardrobe was upgraded significantly, but she still had the worst taste in shoes.

What would have made me smile now, really left me with no emotion. None.

I had often wondered what I would do if I ever ran into her again, in this city that is small enough to create such situations. Would I confront her and express all the hurt that she had caused? Would I spit in her face? No. Never. Would I hug her and give her thanks for leaving my life because, God knows, it was the best thing in the world? No.

I sat on my bench enjoying the sun. Her glide took her away and I didn’t even bother to have my eyes follow her down the street. I didn’t care. My eyes didn’t care. My heart, mi corazon, could care less.

Time past is an interesting thing. You only notice when it is put directly in front of you.

My time in the sun was long enough. I picked up a stone, put it in my pocket and went on my way. Today is going to be a good day.

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

14 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger District Dishes said...

this is incredible

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

si, today is going to be a good day - muy bueno.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger EsLocura said...

what an eloquent post.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger A Margarita said...

I love your attention to detail. It's amazing what the simple passing of time can do.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger . said...

Reality is a question of perspective; the further you get from the past, the more concrete and plausible it seems -- but as you approach the present, it inevitably seems incredible. -Salman Rushdie.

Next to the wound, what women make best is the bandage. -Jules Barbey d'Aurevilly

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Lillian said...

Gorgeous post, EG. Incredible what time can do, isn't it?

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I looked at a window yesterday, and it brought up a memory of my youth; a few months spent in a room that I adored. amazing brush you paint with. thank you.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger ADW said...

Yeah, yeah, sweet post, heart-wrenching even, but I was struck by one thing. How can someone really walk like that? I mean I clomp around like an elephant that you can hear coming from a mile away. So she broke your heart once upon a time and I could despise her for that, but the fact that she glides gracefully like a regal queen? No, that I can't forgive.

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your writing kicks ass and takes names.

i mean that in a terrific way. :)

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger savannah said...

i like that you picked up a stone...a tactile reminder of another time and a promise of even better...

well done, sugar!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger MeinSchatz said...

That’s the way things come clear. All of a sudden. And then you realize how obvious they’ve been all along. ~Madeleine L’Engle

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't wait until I don't care too..hehe must feel good :)

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

it's amazing when that opportunity arises to interact - even just visually w/ and ex - and you know you are free from the emotional ties

i have had this feeling twice this year... and it was GREAT

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an absolutely amazing post

i may have been gone but it is nice to come back and see that you still have such a way with your words

 

Post a Comment

<< Home