El Guapo in DC

I am El Guapo. The most Guapo man in all of DC. Mucho Amor

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Picture Caption Friday

DC is a great place for protestors. People come to the sidewalks and they complain about this thing and that thing. Sometimes, I stop to listen. Sometimes I cross the street because I know that they are annoying.

For the last several years there have been a group of large black men who take over a corner by Metro Center. This group, I like to stop by and listen. They sit around wearing what seem to be fly fishing pants, camouflage, bandanas and beards. And they scream. They scream about the white man. And how the white man is the devil:





They once screamed about how the new Spiderman movie is about how white men are better than black. They say when the “hero” doesn’t have his costume on, he’s the little, simple, clean white man with glasses. But when he becomes evil, he of course, becomes a black demon. Clean: White. Evil: Black.

I wanted to tell them how I thought the Blair Witch Project was about the People's struggle in Cuba, but I didn’t find it to be the right time.

They list the 12 tribes of Israel. Guatemala is not listed. This confuses me because Puerto Rico is.

But, they always tell me how Jesus was a black man. I like Jesus. Maybe he was black. I wouldn’t mind. Pero my entire I life I never really was sure until the other night when I walked by this:




It is a picture of Mary, mother of God. But here, it is a black Mary. Claro, if Jesus the son of God was black, he must have had a black mother. At least a black father. But then he would have been a mulatto Jesus and the angry men on the corner didn’t say anything about a mulatto Jesus.


Now, some of you may be confused and think that the mother of God actually appeared to me, El Guapo. Although Guatemalans are known to be visited by saints and the such, this is just the case of a statue. I wish I remember where I was walking back from, but I believe it was off of H st NE. Turns out gringas live there now...

One thing I ask… Why hasn’t there ever been talk of an Asian Jesus?




Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

12 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asian Jesus!!Haha!
I so love your "Picture Caption Friday".Have a nice weekend EG.

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody knows Jesus was brown, he from desert country! You know how gringos turn red like a lobster in the sun - I've never seen an image of Jesus all sunburned. Yeah, without a doubt Jesus was brown in the winter and maybe in the summer he was darker because of the intense desert sun.

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

A classic line from an old British sit-com has a character uttering the line "Well of course Jesus was English - he was only Jewish on his mother's side"

Although a friend of mine said he used to have converstions with a guy who knew for a fact that God was Swedish.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Phil said...

What was the United States?

I hope we got one of the good tribes.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger A Margarita said...

I thought it was common knowledge that Jesus was Cuban?

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't the protesters' virgin mary a *cough* darker version? (look at the photo . . . or may be it's just a shadow?)

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a group just like that in NYC and when I first moved here I stopped to listen to them. Since they were a little bit scary my son kept trying to drag me away. We are very light skinned, green eyed Puerto Ricans and my son did not want us to be confused with the evil white man. Imagine our relief when we read that Puerto Rico is one of the tribes!!

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen these guys in Philly tambien. Think they'll do parties?

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hola from Seattle, senor Guapo. A good friend of mine wrote a thesis on the Black Madonnas of Italy. One interesting theory is that the worshipers of Isis changed their deity to the Madonna for 'Christian' reasons. ;-) http://deamadre.home.comcast.net/presentations.htm

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Mad Cabbie said...

I heard Jesus is half Filipino and half Norwegian but don't quote me on that!

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend and I (two gringas) got into it with those guys one night after a few too many pitchers of sangria. No fue la mejor idea...

 
At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw that statue personally in panama! how lovely...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home