El Guapo in DC

I am El Guapo. The most Guapo man in all of DC. Mucho Amor

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wrong again... Some gringos can dance

I have written, on several occasions actually, that gringos can’t dance. I may have said something along the lines of gringos making my eyes cry from their lack of rhythm; or that I throw up in mi boca a little bit when I see a gringo try to salsa; or that every time a gringo steps on the dance floor an angel dies. Something along those lines.

Bueno, I’d like to take this moment and apologize. Lo siento. I was wrong. Some of you can dance. I was just looking at the wrong kinds of gringos.

Last evening an amiga of mine informed me that I was going to a concert with her. Note that I wasn’t asked to go, but informed, told, instructed. Si, mi amiga is known by her moniker, ‘Little Miss Bossy’.

So LMB takes me to the 9:30 Club to see a British-Lebanese guy named Mika.

His name sounded like that of a Romanian soccer player, but I had never heard of his music. I listened to something before I ran out the door and remember thinking that it was interesante. Muy interesante.

So I go to pick up LMB and the first thing she asks me is how her breasts look in the shirt she’s wearing. Isn’t she great? Latin spice, and all looked nice.

So we arrive at the club and I notice that there are a lot of gringos dressed better than me. Way better than me. I was seeing accessories that I simply could not compete with. Interesting. Very interesting.

Then, we get inside, and I notice the music being played before Mika came on included a lot of disco music. A LOT of disco music. Interesting.

Then, I notice that there is a lot of shoulder rubbing. Man on man shoulder rubbing, singing along to the disco music, and yes, man on man grinding.

I see. It seems that Mika attracts my gay gringo hermanos. This was going to be interesting for me.

Then, the music started and the gringos started to dance, and well, very well. I’m not saying that they were up to the mustached Guatemalan level of dancing, but let me tell you something, they were close. They all had hips. They all moved to the rhythm. Some even had these fun little hand movements that they would do in unison to the music. Truth be told, I got a little jealous that I didn’t know the fancy hand movements.

So, it turns out that I was wrong. Once again. Some gringos can dance. Just not the straight ones.

Oh, and by the way, Mika put on an incredible show. I haven’t had that much fun listening to live music in a long time. I know they say that he’s British-Lebanese, but I’m pretty sure that at least his mother is Guatemalan. There is some Guatemalan blood in there somewhere. Of this, I am sure.

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

Oh, I took a video of the finale of the show. It involved all of the band members dressing up like furry creatures, big air-filled balloons dropping from the ceiling and confetti cannons. It was from my cell, so the quality isn’t great, but you get the point. Yeah, it was good. Hand motions and all.

7 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it comes to salsa, my little British gringito lindo will never master the hips...Nunca! [sigh...] But he is learning the moves. And getting quite good, which, knowing where he started from, is nothing short of a milagro!

Gracias a dios I have enough hips for the two of us!

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Avra said...

Oh, I so envy you!I love Mika's songs.Every single one of them.Wish I were there too.

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger E. Morena said...

Lo siento, Papi.It's awfully nice of you to apologize to the gringos but, truth be told, I have yet to find a gringo that can truly dance, and I live in the gringo capital of North America: Seattle. A city that is chock full of endless Salsa classes.I fully believe that TRUE dancing comes from deep within. It doesn't matter how many salsa y merengue lessons you take.

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Eryl Shields said...

Hello, I read your guest post on Kim's site and enjoyed it so much I thought I'd visit you here. So now I've read some of your posts and feel transported from a grey Scottish day to a warm Guatemalan night: I can even hear music and my tea tastes of beer. Thanks, I'll be back for more.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Finally I have confirmation of my heterosexuality! When ever I told people I was married with children, some would say that it didn't prove anything.

However my dancing is appalling - when I was a teenager the best I could manage was headbanging to Iron Maiden.

Thank you El Guapo, no one need ever doubt me again

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Namaste said...

tee hee.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger savannah said...

it comes from inside, sugar, we KNOW that ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home